The Poor People's Alliance is a network of radical grassroots movements in South Africa. It was formed in 2008 after the Action Alliance, formed in December 2006, was expanded to include two more organisations.
The following organisations are members of the alliance:
- Abahlali baseMjondolo in the province of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Abahlali baseMjondolo in the province of the Western Cape.
- The Landless People's Movement in the province of Gauteng.
- The Western Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign in the province of the Western Cape.
- The Rural Network of KwaZulu-Natal.
The Poor People's Alliance refuses electoral politics and resolved to boycott the 2009 national elections under the slogan "No Land! No House! No Vote!".
The Poor People's Alliance has supported the struggle of the eMacambini Community against mass eviction by Ruwaad Holdings and KwaZulu-Natal Premier S'bu Ndebele and the African National Congress Provincial Government of KwaZulu-Natal.
Video Poor People's Alliance
The Chicago Anti-Eviction Campaign states that it has been influenced by the Western Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign and the Poor People's Alliance.
Maps Poor People's Alliance
Notes and references
Source of the article : Wikipedia